Thursday, July 24, 2008

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies


Once in a while we make chocolate chip cookies at the shop. I love a good chewy chocolate chip cookies the only thing that really makes or breaks a good chocolate chip cookie for me is the sweetness level. I love my sweets, don't get me wrong but I have never liked that headache-inducing sweet that usually accompanies mass-produced baked goods and confections. The recipe I like to use is adapted from an Alton Brown recipe book (my favourite Food Network chef). Here it is:

1 cup butter
2 1/4 c bread flour (really important if you want nice chewy cookies)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups 70% chocolate chips or chunks (really important if you like a not too sweet cookie...worth the splurge!)
1 cup toasted pecans (I sometimes candy mine with a little maple syrup and cayenne pepper...gives a nice kick...men usually like this addition)

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degree F. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom saucepan. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda (set aside).
Pour the melted butter in the mixer's bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg, yolk, milk and vanilla until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans. Chill the dough. Spoon out onto silpat sheets (6 per sheet) and bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!

No comments: